Main Article Content
Grain drying with bed dryer is generally effective with high temperatures, but this can increase fissured rice percentage. This can be overcome by combining drying method with tempering. These study were aim to examine drying temperature and duration on bed dryer using intermittent high temperature dryer, and its effect on quality variety of Ciherang with 20-22% moisture content. These research method consists of drying treatment without tempering using 35°C, 60°C and 80°C temperatures to 14% moisture content. Drying treatment with tempering consists of initial drying process-initial tempering-second drying- second tempering or without tempering, where the first drying temperature were 80°C for 20 minutes, 60°C for 30 minutes and second drying temperature were 60 °C and 35°C to 14% moisture content. The tempering duration used was 90 minutes. Results showed the grain drying method without tempering 35°C gave the highest percentage of head rice. However, the use of tempering had significantly reduced cracking and increased head rice percentage compared without tempering at the same temperature. Initial drying of 60°C for 30 minutes-tempering for 90 minutes-drying both temperatures of 35°C to 14% moisture content had been able to produce high head rice and low fissured rice percentage respectively 81.41% and 10%.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Amin, S., Jamaluddin dan M. Rais. (2018). Laju pindah panas dan massa pada proses pengeringan gabah menggunakan alat pengering tipe bak (batch dryer). Jurnal Pendidikan Teknologi Pertanian Vol.4: S87-S104.
- [BSNI] Badan Standarisasi Nasional. (2015). Beras. SNI 01-6128-2015. Jakarta (ID): Badan Standarisasi Nasional.
- Cnossen, A.G. and T.J. Siebenmorgen. 2000. The glass transition temperature concept in rice drying and tempering: effect on milling quality. ASAE Vol.43 (6):1661-1667.
- Cnossena, A.G., T.J. Siebenmorgen, W. Yang and C. Bautista. 2001. An application of glass transition temperature to explain rice kernel fissure occurrence during the drying process. Journal of Drying Technology Vol.19 (8):1661-1682.
- Cnossenb, A.G., M.J. Jimenez and T.J. Siebenmorgen. 2003. Rice fissuring response to high drying and tempering temperatures. Journal of Food Engineering Vol.59 (1):61–69.
- Hasbullah, R. dan A.R. Dewi. Kajian pengaruh konfigurasi mesin penggilingan terhadap rendemen dan susut giling beberapa varietas padi. Jurnal Keteknikan Pertanian Vol. 23 (2):119-124.
- Jia, C.C., W. Yang, T.J. Siebenmorgen, R.C. Bautista and A.G. Cnossen. 2002. A study of rice fissuring by finite-element simulation of internal stresses combined with high-speed microscopy imaging of fissure appearance. American Society of Agricultural Engineers Vol.45 (3):741-749.
- Lan, Y., Q. Fang, M.F. Kocher and M.A. Hanna. 2002. Detection of fissure in rice grains using imaging enhancement. Journal of Food Properties Vol.5 (1):205-215.
- Nassiri, S.M. and S.M. Etesami. 2011. The best method for rough rice drying based on operational energy and head rice yield quality. Journal of Agricultural machinery Science. Vol.7 (4):339-345.
- Nugraha, S., R. Thahir dan Sudaryono. 2007. Keragaan kehilangan hasil pascapanen padi pada 3 (tiga) agroekosistem. Buletin Teknologi Pascapanen Pertanian Vol. (3):43-49.
- Wiset, L., G. Srzednicki, R.H. Driscoll, C. Nimmuntavin. and P. Siwapornrak. 2001. Effects of high temperature drying on rice quality. Journal of Scientific Research and Development Vol.1 (3):1-10.