Firewood and Carpentry Wood Contribution to the Communities of Mutis Timau Protected Forest, Timor Island

Fransiskus Xaverius Dako, Ris Hadi Purwanto, Lies Rahayu Wijayanti Faida, Sumardi Sumardi

Abstract


The existence of Mutis Timau Protected Forest (MTPF) has given a real contribution to the community by providing household energy needs and raw materials for building the houses. This preliminary study is aimed at knowing the contribution of M T PF in terms of firewood and carpentry wood consumption in the community. The study was conducted in 9 villages located in and around MTPF. This study used surveys and employed descriptive analysis with 353 families spread proportionally on every village as the sample. The results show that MTPF contributed to as much as 87.45% of the total firewood consumption of the community living in and around the protected forest, while the remaining 12.55% was supplied from the gardens. These percentages were calculated from the total firewood consumption of 1,912,512 kg year-1. Meanwhile, every 15-20 years, MTPF contributed to 96.98% of the total carpentry wood needs (1,177.3 m3) while the remaining 3.02% was supplied from privately owned gardens. This fact indicates that the dependence level of the community on the forest is high. Consequently, the pressure on the forest is also very high and may cause deforestation and degradation. To prevent deforestation and degradation, social participation in the sustainable management of MTPF is needed. The principles of social forestry must be implemented through social forestry programs such as community empowerment.

Keywords


contribution; firewood; carpentry wood; Mutis Timau Protected Forest

Full Text:

PDF

References


Arnold JEM, Köhlin G, Persson R. 2006. Woodfuels, livelihoods, and policy interventions: Changing perspectives. World Development 34(3):596–611. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2005.08.008.

Asfaw A, Lemenih M, Kassa H, Ewnetu Z. 2013. Importance, determinants and gender dimensions of forest income in eastern highlands of Ethiopia: The case of communities around Jelo Afromontane forest. Forest Policy and Economics 28:1–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2013.01.005.

Astana S. 2012. Konsumsi kayu bakar rumah tangga pedesaan dan faktor-faktor yang mempengaruhi di Kabupaten Banjarnegara Jawa Tengah, Sukabumi Jawa Barat dan Lebak Banten. Jurnal Ilmu Kehutanan Penelitian Sosial dan Ekonomi Kehutanan 9:229–241.

Berger PL, Berger B, Kellner H. 1988. Pluralitas dunia kehidupan sosial. In: Hans-Dieter Evers, editor. Teori Masyarakat: Proses Peradaban Dalam Sistem Dunia Modern. Jakarta: Yayasan Obor Indonesia.

Brouwer R, Falcao P. 2004. Wood fuel consumption in Maputo, Mozambique. Biomass and Bioenergy 27(3):233–245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2004.01.005.

Cooke P, Köhlin G, Hyde WF. 2008. Fuelwood, forests and community managementevidence from household studies. Environment and Development Development Economics 13(1):103135. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1355770X0700397X.

Dresen E, deVries B, Herold M, Verchot L, Müller R. 2014. Fuelwood savings and carbon emission reductions by the use of improved cooking stoves in an Afromontane Forest, Ethiopia. Land 3(3):11371157. https://doi.org/10.3390/land3031137.

Dwiprabowo H. 2010. Kajian kebijakan kayu bakar sebagai sumber energi di pedesaan Pulau Jawa. Jurnal Analisis Kebijakan Kehutanan 7:1–11

FAO. 2010. What woodfuels can do to mitigate climate change. In FAO Forestry Paper 162. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations.

Gelabert L, Asouti E, Marti EA. 2011. The ethnoarchaeology of firewood management in the Fang villages of Equatorial Guinea, Central Africa: Implications for the interpretation of wood fuel remains from archaeological sites. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 30:375–384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaa.2011.05.002.

Hopkins TK, Wallerstein I. 1988. Pola-pola Pembangunan Sistem Dunia Modern, Usulan Penelitian. In: Hans-Dieters Evers, editors. Teori Masyarakat: Proses Peradaban Dalam Sistem Dunia Modern. Jakarta: Yayasan Obor Indonesia. Jakarta.

Kebede E, Kagochi J, Jolly CM. 2010. Energy consumption and economic development in Sub-Sahara Africa. Energy Economics 32(3):532–537. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2010.02.003.

Kurniadi R, Purnomo H, Wijayanto N, Fuah AM. 2017. The refusal of livestock owners towards exclusion policy in protected area. Jurnal Manajemen Hutan Tropika 23(1):16–24. https://doi.org/10.7226/jtfm.23.1.16.

Loaiza T, Nehren U, Gerold G. 2015. REDD+ and incentives: An analysis of income generation in forest-dependent communities of the Yasuní Biosphere Reserve, Ecuador. Applied Geography 62:225236. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeog.2015.04.020.

Nepal M, Nepal AK, Berrens RP. 2017. Where gathering firewood matters: Proximity and forest management effects in hedonic pricing models for rural Nepal. Journal of Forest Economics 27:28–37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfe.2017.02.005.

Njurumana GN. 2016. Masyarakat desa dan manajemen biodiversitas flora pada sistem pekarangan di Kabupaten Sumba Tengah. Jurnal Penelitian Kehutanan Wallacea 1:25–36.

Nuryanti S, Herdinie SS. 2007. Analisis karakteristik konsumsi energi pada sektor rumah tangga di Indonesia. In Proceedings of Seminar Nasional III SDM Teknologi Nuklir Yogyakarta, 21-22 November 2007.

Oñate-calvín RD, Oviedo JL, Salo M. 2018. Forest resource-based household economy in the communities of the Nanay River Basin, Peruvian Amazonia. Ecological Economics 146:218–227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2017.10.012.

Paudel J. 2018. Community-managed forests, household fuelwood use and food consumtion. Ecological Economics 147:62–73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2018.01.003.

Pique R, Revelles J, Burjachs F, Ferme LC, Pérez-Obiol R. 2016. Interdisciplinary approach to the landscape and firewood exploitation during the Holocene at La Garrotxa (Girona, NE Iberia). Quaternary International 463(B):401–413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2016.11.025.

Reyes R, Nelson H, Zerrif H. 2018. Firewood: Cause or consequence ? Underlying drivers of fi rewood production in the South of Chile. Energy for Sustainable Development 42:97–108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2017.10.006.

Sahoo B. 2015. Social Forestry- A Case Study of The District of North 24-Parganas In West Bengal. International Journal of Research Granthaalayah 3.

Setiajiati F, Hardjanto, Hendrayanto. 2017. Strategies of community empowerment to manage protection forest sustainably. Jurnal Manajemen Hutan Tropika 23(2):71–80. https://doi.org/10.7226/jtfm.23.2.71.

Sevilla CG, Tuwu A, Syah A. 1993. Pengantar Metode Penelitian. Jakarta. Universitas Indonesia Press.

Simon H. 2003. Hutan Jati dan Kemakmuran. Problematika dan Strategi Pemecahannya, Yogyakarta: Bigraf Publising Yogyakarta.

Simon H. 2004. Aspek Sosio-Teknis Pengelolaan Hutan Jati di Jawa. Yogyakarta: Penerbit Pustaka Pelajar.

Sulaiman C, Abdul-Rahim AS,Mohd-Shahwahid HO, Chin L. 2017. Wood fuel consumption, institutional quality, and forest degradation in sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from a dynamic panel framework. Ecological Indicators 74:414–419. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2016.11.045.

Timko JA, Kozak RA. 2016. The influence of an improved firewood cookstove, Chitetzo mbaula, on tree species preference in Malawi. Energy for Sustainable Development 33:53–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2016.04.002.

Waka A, Awang SA. 2017. Skenario pengembangan pengelolaan kolaborasi Taman Nasional Bantimurung Bulusaraung, Provinsi Sulawesi Selatan. Jurnal Penelitian Kehutanan Wallacea 6:31–40.

Win ZC, Mizouec N, Ota T, Kajisa T, Yoshida S, Oo TN, Hwan-ok M. 2018. Differences in consumption rates and patterns between fi rewood and charcoal: A case study in a rural area of Yedashe Township, Myanmar. Biomass and Bioenergy 109:39–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2017.12.011.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


ISSN : 2087-0469

E-ISSN : 2089-2063

Creative Commons License
This journal is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.


visitors since November 2016